This afternoon, I spent several hours to figure out a problem that in the end turned out to be a bug in the Apache Maven Javadoc Plugin (version 2.10.3).
I wanted to use a custom stylesheet when building the Javadocs of all modules of a multi-module Maven project, so I generated a JAR that contained the stylesheet file, added it to the dependencies of the plugin and referenced it in the
To my suprise, Maven kept complaining with a message like
[WARNING] Unable to find the resource 'path/to/my/stylesheet.css'. Using default Javadoc resources.
I checked everything, tried various ways to configure the dependency, etc., but I could not get it to work. So I resorted to the last thing one can do when a software does not work as expected. I grabbed the source code of the plugin, found the relevant part that generated the message, and attached to the Maven process with a debugger. As it turned out, the problem was actually caused by a bug in the plugin that lead to resources from dependencies not being resolved correctly.
I filed a bug report and attached a patch to the bug report that fixes the problem for me. I hope that this patch will soon make it into a release version of the plugin. Until then, maybe this article helps someone else by saving the time to look for the cause of the issue.